This quick and easy paleo meal of pan-fried pork steaks with garlic asparagus and watercress salad is nutrient-dense and perfect for a sugar-free, low-carb reset.
Who doesn’t love a quick and easy meal, especially when it’s full of nutrients AND flavour? I certainly do and this is one of those meals. I love making it when I want something healthy, recalibrating and sugar-free…like after you’ve had an overindulgent weekend. If you’re doing my free paleo reset plan, this is a great one to add to your 7-day kick-starter week!
I used free-range pork steaks, which are quite lean and high in protein, which I pan-friend simply with sea salt and pepper. I am using Dijon mustard to give me that extra flavour hit, and a little heat too. Mustard goes so well with pork! By the way, you can make this meal with chicken or beef instead.
For sides, I also cooked some asparagus (it’s in season where I am at the moment) and you can do this in the same frying pan to save on washing up. I think it’s such a tasty vegetable that all it needs is a little olive oil, salt and maybe garlic. Did you know that asparagus is also full of gut-friendly fibre and nutrients that help support healthy hormones? Yep, they’re often on the menu here. Check out this asparagus recipe too! If you have an Instant Pot, you can easily make asparagus in that as well.
Finally, I wanted to freshen everything up with a little zesty side of leafy greens. When it comes to salad veggies and nutrients, watercress is the absolute winner. In fact, this leafy wonder is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet!!!
I simply tossed it with some lemon juice, olive oil and black sesame seeds (these guys are rich in calcium, by the way). Alternatively, you can use baby spinach or rocket (arugula), which are also vitamin-rich leafy greens.
All in all, this meal took me about 10-15 minutes, cooking the pork steaks and asparagus at the same time, and making the salad in parallel. Asparagus doesn’t need much prep and the salad came pre-washed, so it was super quick and easy.
I hope you enjoy this lovely meal.Print
For pork steaks
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 medium pork steaks (about 150 g / 4-5 oz each)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- Generous pinch of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (wholegrain or yellow are also fine)
For the asparagus
- 1 bunch of asparagus (I do about 10 spears per person), harder ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large cloves of garlic, sliced
- Pinch of salt
For the salad
- 100 g / 3 oz watercress salad
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds (black or white)
- Heat coconut oil in a large frying an over medium-high heat. Season the pork steaks with salt, onion powder and pepper and place in the middle of the pan. Cook for 3.5 minutes on each side.
- While the steaks are cooking, add asparagus spears and garlic to the same frying pan (around the pork steaks, if it’s big enough pan) or to another hot frying pan and drizzle with olive oil. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring a few times, to ensure even cooking. Season with a little sea salt, to taste.
- While the pork and the asparagus are cooking, add the watercress salad to a bowl and drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil. Toss through with some sesame seeds.