You can turn the burger mixture into patties or meatballs and serve alongside the avocado green bean salad or in a wrap. The jerk onions make for a flavoursome condiment but feel free to use some mustard or sugar-free ketchup as well.
For jerk onions
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- Generous pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 long red chilli, diced finely (or 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes or powder)
- 2 large cloves garlic, diced finely
- 1 teaspoon allspice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or thyme leaves
- Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- 1 +1/2 teaspoons honey, maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons Tamari sauce or coconut aminos
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup water
For the beef patties
- 400–500 g / 1 lb grass fed beef mince
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely grated or diced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- generous pinch fo pepper
- 2/3 teaspoon sea salt
- dollop of coconut oil for cooking
For the salad
- 100 g string green beans, tails chopped off
- 1/2 long cucumber, diced
- 1/2 large avocado, diced
- 4–5 cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- handful of fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cumin
- generous pinch salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
Onions: Heat coconut and olive oil over medium heat in a medium pan. Add the onions, chilli and salt and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
Beef burgers: In a bowl, mix together the beef mince, grated garlic, spices, salt and pepper. Use your hands to work through the meat to make sure the flavours are well incorporated. Make 6 small or 4 larger patties, flatten them and set aside. Heat a dollop of coconut oil in a large skillet and add the patties. Cook for 4 minutes each side, then remove to a plate and set aside.
Bring a small saucepan of water to boil.
Back to onions: Once the onions have softened up and turned golden brown, add the rest of ingredients and stir through. Cook for another minute or two, stirring frequently. Then set aside.
Make the salad: Add the green beans to boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Then strain and rinse under cold water until cool. Dice up (I cut each in three parts) and add to a bowl with cucumber, avocado and tomatoes. Add a little sea salt, pepper, lime juice, coriander seed powder and olive oil and combine.
Serve the patties topped with the jerk onions and the salad on the side.