Looking for a new salad to try? This beetroot and olive slaw is delicious on its own or as a side dish, and it’s a nutritional powerhouse with many health benefits.
I’ve noticed that a lot of people tend to buy pre-cooked beetroot to use in salads. While it certainly works well in certain recipes, I personally love using raw beetroot. Yes, it can get a bit messy and stain your fingers, but it has the most beautiful colour, lots of crunch and that lovely sweet flavour.
I often make a beetroot slaw salad and today’s recipe is a new variation that I really enjoyed the other day. It’s made with shredded beetroot, carrots, pickled onions, parsley and black olives, and is both tasty and full of nutrients and fibre.
I think it’s great as a side dish with any kind of meat, fish or seafood and you can make a big batch to enjoy for 2-3 days. You can also enjoy it as its own meal topped with some protein, grilled halloumi (if you tolerate dairy) or hemp seeds and nuts for a vegan friendly version. It’s Whole30 compliant.
A little on why this salad is so good for you
Raw beets are a fantastic source of phytonutrients called betalains, which provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support. They are great for your liver! PS. These phytontrients do lose some of their power during cooking, hence why I often use beetroot raw. Read more about beetroot nutrition here.
Carrots need no introduction when it comes to nutrition, but let’s just say they are full of antioxidants and nutrients that promote overall health, they are known as ‘the beauty vegetable’ and they are great for your bones.
Onion’s sulfur compounds provide cardiovascular and anti-inflammatory benefits, and parsley is well known for its cancer-fighting and blood purifying properties. Parsley is very high in vitamin K, which is essential for bone health, and is actually pretty incredible when it comes to health. Read up more on parsley here.Print
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium beets, peeled and grated (I suggest to use kitchen gloves or peel the beets under running water to avoid skin stains)
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/3 cup black pitted olives (the less salty Spanish olives are best), sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (a good handful of fresh parsley)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Before you start grating the beets and the carrots, start by marinating the onions. In a large salad bowl, combine the chopped onions with the vinegar, mustard, and olive oil and stir through. Leave for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the grated beets, carrots, olives and parsley to the bowl and season with salt. Stir through really well, making sure the onions and the marinade coat the vegetables evenly. They are your dressing!
- Serve right away or store in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days.
Follow me on Instagram and show what Eat Drink Paleo recipes you’re making in your kitchen. Tag @eatdrinkpaleo or use hashtag #eatdrinkpaleo.