This braised cabbage and potatoes is a great one-pot dish or it can be served as a vegetable side with grilled meat or fish. It’s gluten-free, Whole30-friendly.
- 4 medium potatoes, quartered or diced into large cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 long red chilli, seeds out and diced
- 1 stick of celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely diced
- 1/2 head of medium white cabbage, quartered and shredded (core out)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed powder
- 1/2 cup diced tinned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon butter or ghee (optional)
- A handful of fresh coriander/cilantro or parsley, chopped
- Place potatoes in a small pot of water and season with a generous pinch of salt. Bring to boil and cook for 6-7 minutes, until almost cooked. They will finish cooking together with the braised cabbage.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot or a deep frying pan that has a lid. Add the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring halfway. Then add the chilli, celery and carrots and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until slightly softened and caramelised.
- Now add the garlic and cabbage and season with salt and coriander seed powder. Stir through, cover with the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes. The cabbage will release a bit of juice and reduce in size.
- Finally, add the diced tomatoes, cooked potatoes and about 1/3 cup of water. Stir through and cover with a lid. Bring the heat down to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Finish the dish off by stirring in a little dollop of butter or some ghee, and the fresh herbs.