- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, sliced
- 100 g /3.5 oz pancetta or bacon, finely diced (about 5–6 slices)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3–4 large celery sticks, cut into 4cm-thick pieces
- 1 small carrot, peeled and sliced
- 8–10 sun-dried or semi-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 400 g tinned tomatoes (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 teaspoons sea salt
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and pancetta and cook for 8-10 minutes, until soft and golden. Add garlic, chilli, bay leaf, celery, carrot and sun-dried tomatoes and stir for 1 minute to combine and release aromas.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, water and salt and stir to combine. Bring to boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 40-45 minutes. Stir a couple of time while cooking.
- Serve as a side with your favourite protein main.