This grain-free and low-carb cauliflower couscous’ is flavoured with gorgeous pink beets, garlic and spices and topped with toasted hazelnuts. This a delicious and healthy paleo alternative to couscous that is also vegan and Whole30 friendly.
This cauliflower and beetroot recipe came about as I was thinking about a nice vegetable dish to go with our lamb cutlets. I often make a beetroot, mint and walnut salad with some goats cheese but I wanted something different and fun. At first, I thought of making my yummy cauliflower couscous with pomegranate (recipe in my cookbook) but I had some beets in the fridge and didn’t have pomegranate, so a new dish was born.
I ended up with a beetroot and cauliflower couscous-like salad with roasted hazelnuts, garlic and parsley. It’s such a perfect compliment to a lamb dish and is a fantastic little warm salad on its own.
Other nuts can be used instead of hazelnuts. I recommend to toast or roast them for extra flavour. You could use carrot instead of beets for an orange coloured version. You will need a food processor or mad knife skills for this recipe, basically lots of fine chopping.
If you can’t get a hold of hazelnut oil, simply use 4 -5 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil or macadamia oil.Print
Grain-free, low-carb cauliflower ‘couscous’ flavoured with gorgeous pink beets, garlic and spices and topped with toasted hazelnuts. Paleo, vegan (sub honey) and Whole30 (omit the honey).
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts
- 1 medium brown onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon ghee/butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 medium raw beetroots, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1 medium cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or mint
For the dressing
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Juice of 2/3 medium lemon
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoon hazelnut oil (or extra olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey (omit for Whole30 and replace with maple syrup for a vegan version)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil (optional but adds a nice touch)
- Heat a medium frying pan and toast the hazelnuts over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent burning. Transfer to a bowl and set to cool slightly. Then place them in a towel and rub together with your hands, the shells will peel off easily.
- In the same frying pan, sauté the onion in some ghee and a little sea salt for 5-6 minutes, until golden brown and soft. Place beetroot, garlic and most of the hazelnuts (reserve a few whole nuts for garnish) in a food processor and grind into small crumbs. Alternatively chop finely with a knife. Add ground beetroot, garlic and hazelnuts to sautéed onion and cook together for a minute or two, add extra ghee if needed.
- Place cauliflower florets in the food processor and grind together into small crumbs. Add to the beetroot mix in the frying pan and stir through for a minute. Transfer everything to a large salad bowl.
- Mix and pour the dressing over the salad, add parsley or mint and stir well together. Taste for salt and acidity, add a little more lemon juice if needed. Garnish with whole hazelnuts, parsley and some extra grated lemon zest.
Keywords: Cauliflower, Beets, Beetroot