This cavolo nero salad with tomatoes and fried garlic is simple and quick to prepare. Kale or Swiss chard can be used instead in this recipe. Serve with your favourite piece of meat or as a vegetable side dish on the table.
- 12 cavolo nero leaves, removed from the stalk and washed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into small wedges
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Extra pinch of salt
- Shake off excess water from the cavolo nero leaves and slice thinly on a chopping board. Drizzle all over with lemon juice and sprinkle with salt. Using your hands, massage the lemon and salt into the chopped leaves. This will help to soften the kale. Transfer to a platter or leave on a chopping board, whichever way you like to present it.
- Scatter tomatoes over the top.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and thinly sliced garlic, sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Cook over low-medium heat, as to not burn the oil too much, and stir frequently, for about 1-2 minutes. As soon as the garlic starts to change colour to golden yellow, remove it from the heat. Scatter the fried garlic over the salad and then drizzle the hot, garlicky oil over the top.
For the AIP version, Remove tomatoes; you could use some avocado, radish or cucumber instead.
- Serving Size: Half of the salad
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 4.1 g
- Sodium: 597.3 mg
- Fat: 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.7 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Cavolo Nero, Tuscan Cabbage, Black Kale, Leafy Greens, Salad