This cavolo nero salad is simple and quick to prepare. Kale or Swiss chard can be used instead in this recipe. Serve with your favourite piece of meat or as a vegetable side dish on the table.
- 12 cavolo nero leaves, removed from the stalk and washed
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into small wedges
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- another pinch of salt
- Shake off excess water from the cavolo nero leaves and slice thinly on a chopping board. Drizzle all over with lemon juice and sprinkle with salt. Using your hands, massage the lemon and salt into the chopped leaves. This will help to soften the kale. Transfer to a platter or leave on a chopping board, whichever way you like to present it.
- [url href=”https://irenamacri.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/cavolo-nero-cabbage.jpg”][/url]
- Scatter tomatoes over the top.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and thinly sliced garlic, sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Cook over medium heat, as to not burn the oil too much, and stir frequently, for about 1-2 minutes. As soon as the garlic start to change colour to golden yellow, remove from the heat. Scatter the fried garlic over the salad and then drizzle the hot, garlicky oil over the top.