- 3 tablespoons of pine nuts
- 100 g / 3.5 oz. of pancetta slices (or bacon rashers)
- 1 large celeriac root, peeled and grated
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium apple, grated or thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2/3 teaspoon salt
- Generous pinch pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and add the pine nuts. Pa-fry for 2 minutes, stirring a few times, until golden brown. Remove to a cutting board and chop into small pieces
- Add the pancetta to the frying pan with a little coconut oil or ghee. Pan-fry until crispy on both sides and remove to a bowl. Pancetta is thinner than bacon so it will take less time to brown.
- In the meantime, peel the celeriac and cut it into quarters. Using a food processor a traditional grater, shred the celeriac root into thin strips and add to a mixing bow.
- Grate the carrots and apples and add to the celeriac together with red onion. Add the rest of the ingredients, plus pine nuts and pancetta (reserve some of each for decorating the salad). Mix the salad really well, until everything is well coated in the dressing. I like to use my (clean) hands to toss the salad through.
- Serve on a large platter with some of the crispy pancetta and pine nuts scattered over the top. You can add a few thin slices of apple and chopped green onion or some fresh herb on top.