This delicious and healthy chicken Cobb salad with chipotle ranch dressing and sweet grilled pineapple is hearty and satiating, making it perfect as the main meal. It’s dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo-friendly and is full of colours and flavours.
4 eggs (for boiling)
2 x chicken breasts (about 300 g / 10 oz each)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
3 bacon rashers (about 150 g / 5 oz)
1/2 pineapple, peeled, cut into quarters and sliced
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 red capsicum/bell pepper, sliced
1 avocado, diced
1/4 red onion diced
1 head of cos lettuce, roughly chopped
For the chipotle ranch dressing
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons pureed/chopped chipotle peppers from a can (see notes or use 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons almond milk or water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
- If using eggs in this salad, pop them in a pot of boiling water and cook for 7 minutes for hard-boiled (with a slightly jammy yolk). Once done, strain and place the eggs in cold water for a couple of minutes. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken breasts into three pieces (cut the thicker part into two thinner pieces and cut off the tenderloin). Place on a cutting board or a plate and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and cumin. Massage spices into the meat on both sides and set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan with a couple of tablespoons of oil (macadamia, avocado, coconut or olive oil) over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken pieces and cook for 5 minutes on each side. The thicker pieces might need 6-7 minutes, or you might even need to cut them a little thinner. Once cooked, allow the meat to rest for a few minutes before slicing into bite-size pieces.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare the pineapple. Peel off the skin and remove any brown bits. Cut through the middle into quarters and then cut each quarter into 5-7mm slices. Heat another frying pan with a little oil over medium-high heat. Add pineapple slices and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until charred. Remove to a bowl.
- The final bit of cooking is bacon. Pan-fry until crispy, pat excess oil onto some paper towel and dice into chunky cubes or strips. Set aside.
- Whisk all chipotle ranch dressing ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Now that our cooked ingredients and the ranch dressing are ready, prepare the fresh salad ingredients such as lettuce, cherry tomatoes, peppers, onions and avocado. Peel and cut the eggs into quarters or halves. If making this salad ahead of time, you can pre-cook the protein and pineapple and keep those in the fridge overnight.
- Let’s build the salad. Start with a bed of lettuce and place sliced chicken in four separate piles. Arrange the sliced peppers all over. Place the remaining ingredients in small piles evenly around the chicken: grilled pineapple, bacon, diced avocado, eggs, cherry tomatoes and sliced red onion. You can also arrange it in strips on a longer platter, which is a very classic way to build a cobb salad; each food is placed on its strip.
- By the way, you can also mix it all in a large bowl.
Keywords: Salad, Tex Mex, Cobb Salad, Chicken, Chipotle, Ranch, Pineapple, Paleo, Whole30