Gluten-free, low-carb and keto-friendly, these cloud bread blinis with horseradish dill cream and smoked salmon are great as an appetizer, finger food or a snack. You can make the cloud bread pancakes or flatbreads using the same mixture and enjoy this dish for lunch or breakfast, a little like a smoked salmon bagel without the stodge.
2 large eggs (the fresher, the better)
1 teaspoon white vinegar or lemon juice
A pinch of salt
2 tablespoons (30-35 g cream cheese)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
A pinch of pepper
For the horseradish cream
1/3 cup cream cheese (or thereabouts)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped dill
1 teaspoon horseradish
90 g / 3 oz smoked salmon
Extra dill to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 150 C / 300 F. Place a piece of parchment baking paper on a large flat oven tray (I used two small trays for mine)
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks into two clean bowls.
- Add vinegar or lemon juice and a pinch of salt to egg whites and beat with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Add cream cheese, salt, onion and garlic powder and a pinch of pepper to the yolks and whisk until smooth. You can use electric whisk on the lowest setting as not to overbeat the cream cheese.
- Fold a third of the egg white mixture into the cream cheese and yolk. Once smooth-ish, fold in another third and then again until both mixtures are incorporated. Don’t overmix as we want to keep those air bubbles going.
- Add dollops of the cloud bread mixture onto the baking tray, about a tablespoon per blini. Make sure to leave some space between as they will expand and grow slightly.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden and fluffy.
- In the meantime, mix the horseradish and cream cheese sauce and prepare the salmon. Once cooled, assemble the blinis with a dollop of cream sauce and salmon on top or you can serve it as a ‘make-your-own’ buffet-style smoked salmon blinis.
Make-ahead tip: You can pre-make all of the elements ahead of time and assemble the blinis just before serving.
Keywords: Keto, Low-Carb, Finger Food