This paleo and keto-friendly creamy chicken salad comes with sliced marinated mushrooms, eggs and walnuts in a mayonnaise dressing and is super simple to prepare. You can have it with shredded salad and veggies or as a filling in lettuce wraps. It’s gluten-free and Whole30 friendly as well.
3 hard-boiled eggs, diced
1.5–2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
110 g / 4 oz walnuts, chopped
1/3 cup mayonnaise
250 g / 8-9 oz cooked chicken meat, shredded or diced into cubes
160–200 g / 6-7 oz marinated mushrooms, sliced (see notes)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon Dijon or yellow mustard
1 garlic clove, crushed or minced (optional)
1 spring onion, chopped for final garnish (optional)
Cos or gem lettuce leaves to serve with
- Cook the eggs to hard-boiled if you don’t have them ready ahead of time. Simply add 3 eggs to a pot of cold water, bring to a boil and cook for 8-9 minutes. Drain and leave in cold water for a few minutes before peeling.
- Heat olive oil in a medium frying pan and add the onions. Saute for 4-5 minutes until soft and golden.
- In the meantime, shred or dice the chicken and eggs and slice the mushrooms. Crush or chop the walnuts.
- Combine everything with the fried onions, salt, pepper, mayonnaise and mustard. I really like adding one clove of grated or minced garlic for a little sharpness but this is optional. Mix everything until well combined with mayo. Serve in a bowl with a few extra walnuts on top and some chopped spring onion or chives.
- Enjoy with lettuce wraps/cups, in a tortilla wrap, with a side of garden salad. You can also use this chicken salad to stuff baked potatoes or sweet potatoes or use it as a filling in a sandwich.
Using marinated or pickled mushrooms adds a little acidity to this salad. They usually come in a jar (like these) and can be found next to gherkins and sun-dried tomatoes in the supermarket. If using fresh button mushrooms, add a teaspoon or two of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to the salad.
Keywords: Chicken, Chicken Salad, Salad, Mushrooms, Eggs, Keto, Low-Carb, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Whole30