This paleo and vegan cheese sauce is a healthy alternative to a dairy version and can be used with nachos, macn’n’cheese, lasagna, casseroles and poured over veggies.
- 1 + 1/4 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/4 cup macadamia oil or olive oil
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoon tapioca flour (or arrowroot flour)
- 1/4 cup savoury/nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste (shiro)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 small garlic clove, finely diced)
- 1/2 cup almond meal or ground cashew nuts
- A pinch of sea salt to taste
- Add the stock, oil and tapioca flour to a small heavy bottom saucepan. Whisk together until well combined and tapioca is dissolved more or less. Then bring the mixture to the boil and remove from the heat.Whisk again, it should thicken quite a bit.
- Now add the nutritional yeast flakes, miso, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder and a pinch of salt. Whisk together and then add the almond meal or ground cashews. Whisk again until well combined.
- Place the saucepan back on the heat and stir for about 2 minutes over medium-low heat. Make sure to stir a lot to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom. If you want a thinner sauce, skip the last 2 minutes of stirring over the heat and if you wanted it thicker, stir for a little bit longer.
- User right away or store in the fridge in an airtight container.
If you’re trying to avoid all soy, omit the miso and add a little extra sea salt.