- 100 g canned sardines (look for a brand with extra virgin olive oil)
- 5–6 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (look for olive oil based or make your own of macadamia oil)
- Pinch of black pepper
- Squeeze of lemon juice
For the salad
- 1/4 red pepper/capsicum, diced
- 1/2 celery stick, sliced
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 avocado
- Pinch of sea salt, chili flakes
- Drizzle of lemon juice and olive oil
- Fresh parsley or other herbs
- Drain the sardines and mash with a fork, leaving the bones in. The bones contain most of the calcium and are small enough to eat.
- Mix the mashed sardines with the onions, sun-dried tomatoes, mayonnaise, some lemon juice and black pepper. You can arrange everything around the sardines mixture on a plate or mix the salad in a bowl and serve the sardine forshmak mixture on top.