This delicious tomato gazpacho soup is easy to prepare using a blender or a food processor. It’s made with other veggies and lashings of heart-healthy olive oil. It’s made without bread and is gluten-free and vegan-friendly.
- 8 ripe tomatoes, Roma or round but not Beefsteak
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and seeds scooped out
- 1 small red onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, core and seeds out, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, core and seeds out, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 long red chilli, seeds out (you can leave chilli out completely)
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or sherry vinegar
- 1 orange, a little zest + juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Garnish with diced cucumbers, tomatoes, red pepper, red onion and more olive oil. I like to add some fresh basil leaves as well.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to boil. Place tomatoes in boiling water for 20 seconds or until their skins crack. Remove and rinse under cold water. Peel the skin off, cut into quarters and remove the seeds. If you’re too lazy, feel free to leaves the seeds in – more fibre that way.
- Peel the cucumber and cut in half going lengthways. Using a spoon, remove some of the more obvious seeds, if you like but not essential. Roughly cut all vegetables.
- Process tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, onion, chilli, garlic and zest of 1 orange with water and tomato juice in a food processor or a blender until fairly smooth consistency. Then add the olive oil, vinegar, orange juice, salt and pepper and process quickly until well incorporated but not over-blended so it starts foaming. Depending on the consistency you prefer, you can add more water or tomato juice.
- Eat right away or refrigerate for an hour before serving in bowls or glasses with diced veggies and herbs for garnish.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 362
- Sugar: 9.7 g
- Sodium: 485.5 mg
- Fat: 34.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.8 g
- Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg