This Greek-style roasted lemon garlic chicken is perfect for a weekend dinner and can be done with whole or half chicken, or smaller pieces of poultry. Whole30 and keto friendly.
For this recipe, I am using a Greek chicken marinade made with lots of garlic, lemon juice, herbs and lashings of olive oil is very versatile and can be used with any other meat, mushrooms or veggies. You can easily make a bigger batch and keep it in a jar in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
I will show you how to roast half a chicken but you can easily adapt this method and the marinade for a whole bird. Adjust the cooking time to about 50-60 minutes instead of 40-45. Alternatively, you can coat a bunch of chicken drumsticks or legs and bake those for about 30 minutes. Note that the lemon juice mellows out a lot during cooking, so the chicken won’t be sour even though the marinade is.
I love to cover the chicken in the marinade and pop it in a Ziploc bag for at least 30 minutes. If you can leave it in the fridge overnight, you’ll have an even tastier chicken; and, of course, this is a perfect way to do some meal prep and freeze the marinated chicken for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight and cook as per the recipe.
For herbs, I used mixed dried herbs but you can use dried oregano or thyme, or fresh herbs finely chopped up.
You might also like my Whole Roast Chicken With Inside Stuffing or Georgian Roast Chicken With Creamy Garlic & Coriander Sauce.Print
- Half a chicken (if using whole, make a larger batch of the marinade or use 6-8 pieces of chicken)
- 5 cloves of garlic, smashed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- Generous pinch of pepper
- Combine the garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, herbs and sea salt and pepper in a bowl. Place the chicken on a plate and coat with the marinade on both sides (make sure to brush the bits under the wing). Place the chicken in a Ziplock bag and pour in the remaining marinade. Mix it around in the bag, remove any excess air and zip it up. Leave in the fridge for 30 minutes minimum or for a few hours/overnight, ideally. Remove from the fridge for 15 minutes before cooking to bring to room temperature.
- To cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 200 C/ 400 F. Put a piece of parchment paper on a flat baking tray and place the chicken on top, skin side up. Scoop and spread the remaining marinade over the top. Place in the oven, middle shelf, and cook for 40-45 minutes (depending on the size of the chicken, slightly smaller birds should only need 40 minutes for half of it). If cooking a whole bird, keep it in for 50-60 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is up, remove from the oven and rest on a cutting board under some foil for about 5-10 minutes. Serve with a few slices of lemon as is or carve it into smaller pieces. I like to cut it into a drumstick, leg, wing, and then slice the breast into smaller pieces. This should feed 2-3 people, plus sides.