- Half a chicken (if using whole, make a larger batch of the marinade or use 6-8 pieces of chicken)
- 5 cloves of garlic, smashed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- Generous pinch of pepper
- Combine the garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, herbs and sea salt and pepper in a bowl. Place the chicken on a plate and coat with the marinade on both sides (make sure to brush the bits under the wing). Place the chicken in a Ziplock bag and pour in the remaining marinade. Mix it around in the bag, remove any excess air and zip it up. Leave in the fridge for 30 minutes minimum or for a few hours/overnight, ideally. Remove from the fridge for 15 minutes before cooking to bring to room temperature.
- To cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 200 C/ 400 F. Put a piece of parchment paper on a flat baking tray and place the chicken on top, skin side up. Scoop and spread the remaining marinade over the top. Place in the oven, middle shelf, and cook for 40-45 minutes (depending on the size of the chicken, slightly smaller birds should only need 40 minutes for half of it). If cooking a whole bird, keep it in for 50-60 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is up, remove from the oven and rest on a cutting board under some foil for about 5-10 minutes. Serve with a few slices of lemon as is or carve it into smaller pieces. I like to cut it into a drumstick, leg, wing, and then slice the breast into smaller pieces. This should feed 2-3 people, plus sides.