- 2 large rib eye beef steaks
- sea salt
- coconut oil
- 1/4 cup dried wild mushrooms (porcini, chanterelles or the likes)
- 1/2 cup boiling hot water
- 2 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 1 large brown onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 large button mushrooms
- 4 dried apricots, sliced thinly
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- pinch of black pepper
- pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- 2/3 teaspoon arrowroot powder or tapioca flour
- Remove the steaks from the fridge, rinse and pat dry with paper towel. Sprinkle with sea salt on each side and set aside.
- Cover dried mushrooms with boiling hot water in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sprinkle with salt. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is slightly softened.
- Slice up the rehydrated dried mushrooms and reserve the soaking liquid. Add all the mushrooms (fresh and rehydrated) and the sliced apricots to the frying pan and stir through. Add lemon juice and lemon zest and stir through. Cook for 5 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, then add the reserved mushroom water (1/2 cup) to the mushrooms, stir and cook for a further 5 minutes, covered with a lid. Stir a couple of times.
- Finally, add the arrowroot powder to a small ramekin or a bowl and cover with about a tablespoon or two of water. Stir to dissolve the powder and then add the arrowroot liquid to the mushrooms and stir through until well incorporated. This will thicken the liquid in the mixture. Set the medley sauce aside or remove the mushrooms to a bowl and prepare a clean frying pan to cook the steaks.
- Heat a lashing of coconut oil in a large frying pan or a grill plate over high heat.Add the steaks and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side for medium doneness. Remove to a cutting board and rest for 2 minutes. Then slice thinly and serve on plates with a side of mushroom and apricot medley.
- For a complete meal, prepare my parsnip and cauliflower mash with garlic butter.