A nutritious and tasty salmon loaf recipe made with canned fish for a budget-friendly family dinner. Served with creamy cucumber and dill salad. Step-by-step pictures below.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (coconut or macadamia oil are also great)
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 large celery stick, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely grated (or 2 smaller carrots)
- 2/3 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely diced
- 600 g of canned salmon (3 x 213 g / 7.5 oz cans, drained with larger bones removed)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons almond meal
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
For the salad
- 1/2 long cucumber, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion/scallions
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon baby capers (optional)
- 1 tablespoon water
- A generous pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 175 C/ 350 F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onion and celery. Saute for 2 minutes, stirring once, and then add the grated carrots. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring a few times. Add a couple of tablespoons of water when it feels like the oil has dried up. Finally add the garlic and cook together for another minute or two.
- In the meantime, drain the salmon and remove any visible large bones. Don’t worry too much about the smaller bones or the skin as it will blend in just fine. Add the fish to a mixing bowl and flake with a fork or your fingers.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the salmon. Grate some lemon zest, add the eggs and almond meal and mix everything together with a fork. Make sure the egg is well incorporated.
- Grease a medium loaf tin with a little coconut oil (make sure to brush all sides with oil). Transfer the loaf mixture to the tin and press down until well compacted and even on the top. I like to bang the tin against the bench a couple of times to get rid of any air pockets inside the mix. Then place in the oven, middle shelf, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the salad ingredients in a bowl and set aside.