This deliciouos homemade paleo pesto is a dairy-free version of the Italian classic. It’s a versatile condiment that can be used as a spread, topping, drizzle, dressing or sauce.
- 1 large bunch of basil, leaves only (about 2–3 cups)
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (toasted)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- Preheat a frying pan until hot and cook the pine nuts for 1-2 minutes until browned slightly, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Place all ingredients in a blender or a food processor and puree until smooth and well combined.
You can use the same recipe with other herbs or a combination of herbs such as parsley, rocket, wild mustard, carrot tops, coriander, mint and dill.