This Jarlsberg cheese and spinach omelette is a nutritious, balanced and satiating breakfast recipe. It’s low-carb, gluten-free, and keto-friendly. You can serve it with a side of avocado or cherry tomatoes, toast or not toast, or some sweet potatoes or fruit for extra carbs.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon butter
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups baby spinach (or two large handfuls)
5 eggs (whisked)
40 g / 1.5 oz Jarlsberg cheese, thinly sliced or grated
- Heat the oven grill element to 200 C/400 F.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and salt and saute for 3-4 minutes until soft and golden.
- Add the spinach and saute for another minute or so until it’s wilted. In the meantime, whisk the eggs in a bowl.
- Pour the eggs into the pan and stir through gently. Top with cheese slices or sprinkle grated cheese on top. Cook for 1 minute on the stove, then transfer to the oven close to the grill element (on the upper shelf) and cook for a couple more minutes until the cheese melts. Keep an eye on the it as it can cook very quickly, depending on the oven.
- If not using the oven, cook the omelette in the pan with a lid on low-medium heat until the top layer of the egg cooks through the cheese melts. You can also fold and flip the omelette so it doesn’t overcook too much on the bottom. The main thing is that the egg is cooked through and the Jarlsberg melts to get its full flavour.
- Serving Size: Half of the omelette
- Calories: 356
- Sugar: 1.8 g
- Sodium: 926.7 mg
- Fat: 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.6 g
- Protein: 22.8 g
- Cholesterol: 492.1 mg
Keywords: Eggs, Omelette, Breakfast, Jarlsberg, Cheese, Low-Carb, Keto, Gluten-Free