You can use any type of olives in this recipe but keep in mind that some are stronger and saltier in flavour so you might need to adjust the salt. Goat’s and sheep’s milk feta can be replaced with regular feta or omitted altogether.
For the burgers
- 800–900 grams good quality lamb mince (1.5–1.7 lb ground lamb)
- 1 medium brown onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree/paste
- 2/3 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup roughly crumbled goat’s or sheep’s feta cheese
- 1 cup black olives (without the pits) such as Spanish olives, roughly sliced or diced
- coconut oil for frying
For the grilled zucchini
- 4 medium zucchinis, sliced into thin strips
- sea salt
- olive oil for cooking
For the salad (what I used)
- 4 medium cos lettuces, diced
- large handful of semi-dried tomatoes, diced
- a few gherkins, sliced
- simple lemon juice and olive oil dressing
- side of kimchi or sauerkraut
- Combine the lamb mince with onion, garlic, tomato puree, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Use your hands to squeeze the mixture together to make sure all ingredients are well integrated. Then add half of the feta and olives and fold through the mixture using your hands. Finally, add the other half of the feta and olives and fold through carefully this time so that some of the feta crumbs stay in tact.
- Using clean, wet hands, mould the mixture into 8 round burger patties (about 1/2-2/3 cup of the mixture per burger) and flatten them slightly. Set aside on a cutting board or a plate.
- Heat a dollop of coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the burger patties and cook for 5 minutes on each side over medium-high heat.
- In the meantime, cook the zucchini in a separate frying pan over medium-high heat. You can use a little olive oil, coconut oil, ghee or butter to cook the zucchini in. I grilled mine for about 1-2 minutes each side or until grill marks appeared. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and set aside.
- Mix together a salad of choice and serve on four plates. Then add two burger patties per serve (more if you wish) with the grilled zucchini in between and over the top. Serve with a side of mustard or your favourite condiment, although you might not feel like any.