Gorgeous Italian grilled artichoke hearts with lemon, garlic and anchovies. Serve it as a side dish, appetizer or add to a salad or pasta. Anchovies are optional but add a lovely, salty umami touch. Omit for a vegetarian version and replace ghee or butter with olive oil for a vegan version.
- 4 fresh artichokes
- 1 tbsp ghee or butter
- 3–4 lemon peels
- 4–5 small anchovy fillets, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- A pinch of sea salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- Peel and prepare artichokes following this step-by-step process.
- Cut the hearts into quarters.
- Preheat some ghee or butter in a large frying pan or a wok until hot. Add the artichokes and lemon peel, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Bring the heat down to medium. Add anchovies (if using), garlic, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes. Drizzle with juice from 1/2 lemon and serve with extra lemon on the side
Nutritional breakdown below is per serving (2 hearts quartered) made with anchovies. If you serve as an appetizer for 4 people, half those numbers for each serving macros.