Tender and juicy Mexican shredded beef that can be used in a variety of meals from tacos and casseroles to low-carb naked burrito bowls and salads.
- Add the onion and oil to a heavy bottom saucepan. Sauté over medium-high heat for a couple of minutes while you prepare the beef.
- Add the diced beef and stir through. Add the garlic and spices and stir well. The beef will give out quite a bit of juice while cooking, which will become part of the cooking broth.
- After a minute, add the rest of the ingredients, beef broth or water and stir through. The beef should be almost covered with liquid but not completely. It will give out a little more juice.
- Bring everything to a boil, then turn to simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 1 hour 45 minutes, stirring a few times. The cooking broth will thicken and reduce as the beef cooks over time and turn into gravy-like sauce.
- Once done (the beef should be very soft). Shred the meet with a fork or a potato masher.
- Instant Pot: Repeat the first few steps using the Saute function, then once everything is in, set to High, Manual, 25 minutes. After shredding the beef, cook uncovered on Saute for 5-10 minutes to reduce and thicken the liquid.
- Slow cooker: Repeat the first steps and set to cook on high for 4 hours, medium for 6-7 hours, and low for 8-10 hours.
- Serve with your favourite Tex Mex sides such as grilled peppers, guacamole, roasted or mashed sweet potato, tomato salsa and shredded lettuce.
Which beef cut to use? As we are slow-cooking the beef, you can use pretty much any cut but avoid those that are best briefly cooked or served medium-rare like flat iron or top blade steak from the shoulder. Stewing steak, chuck, rump, brisket can all be used.