Light and nutritious, this Napa cabbage salad is easy to make and can be served as a side dish with a variety of mains. It’s gluten-free, vegetarian, paleo and vegan-friendly (replace honey with maple syrup).
- 1/2 Napa cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 long green onion/scallion, finely chopped
- A handful of fresh coriander/cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For the dressing
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon of honey (can be omitted or replaced with coconut syrup or rice malt syrup)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2.t tablespoons olive oil
- Cut the cabbage half into two long quarters and then slice the leaves into thin shreds. You can leave some of the firmer, white parts closer to the root and use them up in a soup or a stir-fry.
- Combine the shredded cabbage with carrot, onions and coriander and sprinkle with salt. Set aside. If making this ahead of time, don’t add the salt until you want to serve the salad as it will draw the moisture out of the cabbage and produce some juice.
- Whisk the salad dressing ingredients in a bowl and pour over the salad. Toss through with your hands and serve.
Vegan: replace honey with maple syrup or coconut syrup.
Keywords: Chinese cabbage, paleo, gluten-free