Velvety and creamy, this cashew pesto is made with fresh basil, olive oil, lemon and garlic. It’s full of flavour and is a nutritious dip, condiment or sauce. It’s dairy-free, so it’s paleo, vegan and Whole30 friendly.It’s also low-car and keto friendly.
- ½ cup cashew nuts, soaked in warm water for 3–4 hours
- 1 medium bunch of fresh basil (about 2 cups packed with leaves)
- 1/3 cup good extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 clove of garlic, chopped roughly
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- A generous pinch of pepper
- ¼ cup water (you can add more for thinner consistency)
- Pre-soak the cashew nuts in a bowl of warm water for 3-4 hours and strain through a sieve.
- Tear off the basil leaves and save the stalks for a soup, although you can also use some of the stalks in the pesto.
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender. Process into a thick puree, adding a little more water if the consistency is too thick. Taste the pureed mixture for salt and lemon, and add more if you like.
- You can also add some chilli or more garlic, if you like an extra kick, or some nutritional yeast flakes for a more cheesy flavour.
Store this creamy cashew pesto in an airtight jar or container for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 95
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 98 mg
- Fat: 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.6 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 1.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg