This lovely chicken and sweet potato bake is inspired by a Moroccan tagine. It’s easy to make and makes a great one-pot meal. Add a little chilli for an extra kick.
- 2 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut up into 2-3 cm pieces (skin can be left on)
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced into cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 preserved lemon, diced finely (OR zest of 1 lemon and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice)
- 3 cloves garlic, diced finely
- 1/3 cup Spanish black olives, sliced
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet or mild paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup water
- chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) or parsley to garnish
- Preheat oven to 200°C/395°F.
- Heat ghee or coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and brown on each side for about 2 minutes. Then add the onion and stir through the chicken. Cook for a minute.
- Add the sweet potato, preserved lemon (lemon zest and juice if using that instead), garlic, olive, tomatoes, spices, bay leaf and salt and stir through for a minute, letting the spices to release their aromas. Then pour over the water and stir.
- Transfer the mixture into an oven-proof casserole or baking dish and spread the chicken pieces evenly. Place in the oven, uncovered, middle shelf.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then stir and bake for a further 10 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh herbs.
- Serve with a side of steamed greens or a salad.