Juicy, tender, a little spicy, tangy and sweet, these oven-baked chicken wings are a little smoky too. This chicken recipe is paleo and gluten-free friendly. Serve with coleslaw and sweet potatoes, as party finger food or game night, or bring to a potluck dinner.
16 chicken wing pieces (drumettes and wingettes)
For the spice rub
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 + 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 + 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander seed powder
Juice of 1/2 lime
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or grated
3 tablespoons olive oil
For the glaze
Juice of 1 lime
2 + 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (or regular paprika)
1/2 teaspoon chill powder or cayenne (more if you like more heat)
Leftover marinade from the chicken
- Cover the chicken pieces evenly with spices, lime juice, garlic and olive oil and rub all over. Ideally, you would marinate the chicken in the spice rub overnight or a few hours ahead of time, but if making on the day, then allow to stand for 15-20 minutes. You can also freeze them for 2 months (defrost overnight).
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F and line a large sheet or a flat tray with some parchment paper. Grease the paper with a little olive oil or coconut oil.
- Place the chicken pieces on the tray and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix the glaze ingredients with the leftover marinade in a large bowl and set aside.
- Remove from the oven and transfer the pre-cooked chicken to the bowl with the le glaze mixture. Toss through to coat evenly, and then place the glazed wings back on the tray. Cook in the oven for 7 more minutes until the glaze gets a little sticky and caramelized.
- Remove from the oven and arrange on a platter. You can sprinkle the chicken with chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) and chopped spring onions or chives. I like to serve them with a few lime wedges for people to drizzle more if they like.
You can use the same spice rub and glaze on chicken drumsticks, thighs and even on chicken kebobs/skewers.
- Serving Size: 4 wings
- Calories: 550
- Sugar: 13.2 g
- Sodium: 1060.6 mg
- Fat: 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 38.8 g
- Cholesterol: 237.5 mg