These Paleo chocolate cashew butter cups are Dairy-Free and vegan-friendly. This is a guest recipe from Monica of the Movement Menu.
- 2.5 cups dark chocolate chips (dairy-free, minimum 70-85% cocoa content)
- 1/2 cup cashew butter (raw or roasted is fine)
- 1/2 cup good-quality maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, crushed
- 1/3 cup raw or roasted pistachios
- Sea salt crystals and crushed pistachios for dusting
- Line a mini cupcake pan with with 24 liners.
- Melt 1+1/4 cups of the chocolate chips. You can either use a double boiler or heat them in a bowl in the microwave for 45 seconds at a time, stirring after each interval. Drop 1 teaspoon of the melted chocolate into each liner. Now, smooth the chocolate up the sides of the liner either with a brush or the back of your spoon. Place the tray into the freezer for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes is up, add 1 teaspoon of the cashew butter into each cup.
- Return the tray to the freezer. Heat a skillet over medium heat and toast the pistachios and macadamia nuts. Toss them over the heat for 3-5 minutes, until they turn slightly golden. Remove from heat.
- Grab a medium sized saucepan, and combine the coconut sugar and maple syrup over a medium-high flame. Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking constantly. Now, add the toasted nuts and continue cooking for another 3-5 minutes until the mixture reaches between 240 and 265 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from heat and stir in the coconut oil and vanilla extract. Let the mixture cool for a few minutes.
- Take the tray out of the freezer, and distribute the mixture between the chocolate chips. Melt the remaining chocolate chips (another 1+1/4 cups) and cover the candy with it. Now, sprinkle the tops with some course sea salt or crushed nuts of your choice. Let them harden in the refrigerator for a few hours, and store in an air-tight container.
If you’re not strictly dairy-free, regular dark chocolate chips can be used.
- Serving Size: 2 buttercups
- Calories: 212
- Sugar: 11.8 g
- Sodium: 6.1 mg
- Fat: 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.9 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0.2 mg