These homemade paleo crackers are healthy and delicious and can be served with dips, antipasto platter, soup and more. Tree nut-free and great for lunch boxes and on-the-go snacks. Serving size 4-5 crackers.
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C/335 °F.
- Mix the tahini, butter (or other oil/fat), egg, sesame seeds, salt and mustard in a bowl until well combined. Add the coconut flour and mix until thick, sticky mixture forms. If using a different flour, you will need to add more as coconut is a strong moisture absorber and I am using it sparingly.
- Roll the mixture into a ball and place on a slightly greased parchment/baking paper (about 40 x 40 cm). Flatten with you hands in the middle until it’s a flat pancake. Then cover with another piece of parchment paper of the same size and use a rolling pin to flatten the pancake into a thin dough layer, about 3-5mm. Roll it evenly in four directions starting from the middle.
- Finally, using a knife, make small incision marks vertically and horizontally to make it easier to break the crackers when cooked.
- Place in the oven, middle shelf, and cook for about 15 minutes. The outer edges will cook faster so I recommend taking the tray out of the oven when those start going golden brown and slicing those edges off first, then putting the tray back in the oven for a further 3-5 minutes. Alternatively, before you put the tray in the oven in the first place, slice the thin pancake into halves and spread them apart so there is some space between the halves.
- When you’re taking them out, you will notice that there is some oil bubbling away around the cracker and that’s fine. Set the cooked cracker layer to cool before breaking apart. See pictures above for reference.
Tahini paste is made out of sesame seeds and can be purchased in most supermarkets, health food stores and online. I used light tahini paste. It can be replaced with nut or seed butters.
- Serving Size: 4-5 crackers
- Calories: 159
- Sugar: 1.1 g
- Sodium: 818.5 mg
- Fat: 12.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.3 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 5.2 g
- Cholesterol: 54.1 mg