This paleo and vegan creamed spinach is made from frozen with the additional of sweet onions, curry and coconut cream and has an Indian twist to it. It’s great as a side dish or as the main served with some rice or quinoa.
- 2 cups tightly packed with defrosted spinach, about 450–500 g / 0.9 lb.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (the thickened part from the can)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Defrost spinach during the day, or place frozen spinach balls or blocks in a bowl with hot water for about half an hour to an hour. Strain and squeeze some of the excess liquid out with your hands. Spinach doesn’t need to be dry; it can still have some liquid in it, which will add moisture to the sauce. Roughly slice handfuls of spinach in half.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add coconut oil and bring the heat down to medium. Add the onion and salt and sauté for about 8 minutes, stirring a few times, until softened and golden.
- Add spinach, garlic and curry powder and stir through with the onion for about a minute. Use the spatula to break down the clumps of spinach. Then add coconut cream and lemon juice and stir through for another minute until hot and well incorporated. As spinach is already pre-cooked, you only need a couple of minutes to combine and heat everything together. Taste for salt and season with a little extra if needed.
- Serve with steak, chicken or fish.
If using fresh spinach, you will need somewhere between 300-400 g / 12 oz. (or two bags) of baby spinach or two bunches of English spinach.