To get crispy skin on the chicken requires slow pan frying starting with low heat and then gradually increasing it to high. This renders the fat in the skin of the chicken and allows the meat to cook through properly without burning. You can also finish the chicken in a hot oven for 5-10 minutes.
- small dollop of coconut oil
- 4 chicken thighs with skin on
- 2/3 teaspoon sea salt
- 2/3 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 medium brown onion, finely diced
- 1/2 long red chilli, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stick, sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced
- thumb size piece of ginger, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
For the sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese wine (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
- Leave the chicken thighs out of the fridge for at least 10-15 minutes to bring to room temperature. Season with white pepper and sea salt on both sides.
- Place a large frying pan over low heat. Melt a small dollop of coconut oil and add the chicken breasts, skin side down. Cook on low heat for 3 minutes. Then turn the heat up to medium and cook for 4 minutes (still skin side down). Finally turn the heat up to medium-high and cook for a further 6 minutes, until crispy and golden brown.
- Then turn the thighs over and cook for 4- 5 minutes on the flesh side.
- While they are cooking, move the chicken thighs to the side of the frying pan to make some space for the vegetables. If the frying pan is not big enough, you can prepare the vegetables and the sauce in a separate pan (just pour in some of the chicken fat from the other pan). Add the onion and chilli and stir through the rendered out chicken fat for a minute.
- Then add the celery, carrot, red pepper and ginger. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Then add the garlic, stir through and pour in the sauce ingredients. Stir through and cook for a minute, you can scoop some of it over the chicken now. The sauce should caramelise slightly while over heat.
- Serve with a side of cauliflower rice (or regular rice if you wish).
- Stir through.