Learn how to make homemade paleo hoisin sauce recipe with natural, gluten-free, sugar-free ingredients. It’s perfect for duck pancakes, ribs, marinades, stir-fries and more.
- Juice of 1 orange (remove any pits)
- 2 tbsp almond butter or sunflower butter
- 1 tsp grated garlic (about 1 large clove)
- 1 tbsp grated ginger (thumb size knob of fresh ginger)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 5 tbsp gluten free soy sauce such as Tamari or coconut aminos
- 1/2 tsp Chinese Five Spice powder
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes or powder
- 1 tsp tomato paste
Add all ingredients to a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to boil. Turn the heat down to very low, whisk and simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. The mixture will thicken and darken. Remove to a ramekin and set aside. Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.