This nutritious paleo Caesar salad with kale, cherry tomatoes and soft-boiled eggs can be served as a main dish or as a side dish. This salad recipe is for 4 servings (or 2 large ones) so feel free to adjust the ingredients as you need.
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 10 rashers of bacon
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- A large bunch of kale or cavolo nero (Tuscan cabbage) leaves
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- A pinch of salt
- 4 whole eggs
- A punnet of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes (see notes above)
For the dressing
- 4 anchovies, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
To serve: extra anchovy fillets if you like
- Fill up a small saucepan with water and bring to boil. Add eggs to boiling water and cook for 6 minutes. Strain and rinse under cold water and peel.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add bacon rashers and cook for a couple of minutes on each side, until crispy. Remove to a chopping board.
- Add sliced onion to the frying pan and cook for a few minutes, until softened and lightly golden. Season with a little salt.
- While bacon, onion and eggs are cooking, prepare the kale. Tear the leaves away from the stalks and slice very thinly. Add to a large bowl and drizzle with lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Massage the leaves with your hands, this will soften the fibres and make kale less chewy.
- Prepare the dressing by combining all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Slice bacon rashers into small piece and add to the kale together with the salad dressing and toss through using your hands or tongs, until well incorporated and the kale is evenly coated.
- Then add cooked onion, cherry tomatoes and nutritional yeast (or grated Parmesan) and toss through gently. Serve in bowls topped with halved egg and an extra anchovy or two.
I used black kale, also known as cavolo nero or Tuscan cabbage, but you can use regular kale or any other dark leafy greens. The anchovy flavour in the dressing is quite subtle but feel free to reduce the amount or omit it altogether.
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups
- Calories: 479
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 883.8 mg
- Fat: 39.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 3.2 g
- Protein: 18.8 g
- Cholesterol: 233 mg