- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup raw almonds
- ½ cup Brazil nuts
- 4 cups water (for soaking)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Zest of 1 small orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 dates, chopped
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (can be omitted)
- Place the sunflower seeds, almonds and Brazil nuts in a bowl with 3 cups of water and a tablespoon of lemon juice and soak for 4 hours. This will remove some of the phytic acid and also make the nuts easier to digest. Rinse and drain well.
- Add the pre-soaked nuts with the rest of ingredients, except for chia seeds, to a food processor. Grind and process until thick batter is formed. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the chia seeds.
- Roll the mixture into small balls using your hands (you might need to wet them slightly) and transfer to a sealed container. Refrigerate for a couple of hours to set. These will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- Optional: dust the balls with extra cacao powder or roll them in desiccated coconut for a lighter look.