I love a little treat here and there and these paleo friendly salted caramel bites are absolutely lush! These chewy balls are grain-free, gluten-free and egg-free. They are full of healthy fats and protein and are made with only natural sweeteners. Enjoy with a cup of tea or make a larger batch for your next party.
For the caramel sauce
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream
- ¼ teaspoon pink salt or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla paste or 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
For the balls
- ½ cup macadamia nuts
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 5 medjool dates, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2–3 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoon caramel sauce
- Pinch pink salt
- To make the caramel sauce, place all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and heat gently over a medium-low heat, constantly stirring until the mixture is just bubbling. Keep simmering until the mixture thickens and then take off the heat, leaving to one side. The coconut sugar should be completely dissolved.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a food processor, combine the macadamia nuts, cashews, pepitas and sunflower seeds until well blended. Add to this the medjool dates and pulse again to combine. Poor in 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil and the caramel sauce and blend. Check the consistency. The mixture should come together and be slightly moist and sticky. If required, add the additional tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Roll the mixture into bite-sized balls and place on the baking tray. Drizzle over the remaining salted caramel and top each bite with a little sprinkle of pink salt and place in the fridge of freezer for 5-10 minutes to harden up. Enjoy!