They say often good things come in small packages and it is certainly the case with these healthy and delicious sticky date muffins (or cupcakes). They are paleo, gluten-free and dairy-free and are also free from tree nuts.
For the muffins
- Butter, ghee or coconut oil to grease the muffin tray with
- 2/3 cup water (10 tablespoons)
- 12 dates (seeds out)
- 1.5 medium ripe bananas, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or essence or 1 fresh vanilla bean, seeds scraped out
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon honey (my addition but it will be sweet enough without)
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
For the sticky date ganache
- 6 dates, chopped
- Juice of ½ orange
- 4 tablespoons almond milk (coconut milk or water can also be used)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or essence
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 6–12 fresh raspberries or strawberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 185°C (365 °F).
- Grease muffin tins with the butter or ghee and set aside.
- Heat the 12 dates and 2/3 cup of water in a small saucepan over low heat until the dates break down and thicken. Use a fork to mash them together and set aside.
- Place the coconut flour, egg, bananas, vanilla extract and baking powder in a blender or food processor and mix well until well combined and aerated.
- Add the dates to the banana mixture and combine. Evenly distribute into the ramekins. Cook in the oven for about 20-22 minutes.
- While the muffins are in the oven, place the sticky date ganache ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until the dates break down. Mash with a fork and whisk until thickened. Set aside.
- Allow the muffins to rest for 5 minutes before removing them to a serving plate. Scoop a dollop of sticky date ganache paste on top and garnish with a few raspberries.