This turkey divan casserole is a healthy adaptation of the classic chicken divan. It’s dairy-free, paleo, low-carb and Whole30 friendly and comes with a lot of veggies. Perfect for a dinner meal!
For the sauce
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup hot chicken stock (you can use hot water and add 1/2 cube of chicken stock cube)
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 4–5 medium button mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and roughly cut
- 2 heaped teaspoon of nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the casserole
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 500 g / 1.2 lb dice turkey breast
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 small head of broccoli, cut into small florets (or 5–6 broccolini stems)
- 100 g / 3.5 oz green beans, tails cut off and cut in thirds
- 5 medium button mushrooms, diced roughly
- 1 small zucchini/courgette, diced
For the crumbs
- 1/4 cup almond meal/ground almonds
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 heaped teaspoons of nutritional yeast
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Pinch of salt
- Place cashew nuts in a cup with hot chicken stock or water with the chicken stock powder, if using that. Leave to soak for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 175 C / 350 F.
- Pre-cook the turkey: Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey meat and fry for 2-3 minutes each side, until lightly browned. Season with pepper, salt and onion powder and stir through. Set aside. In the meantime, prepare the vegetables.
- Make the sauce: While the meat is cooking, heat the ghee in a small saucepan over medium heat and add the onion. Stir and cook for 4-5 minutes, until softened. Then add the mushrooms and salt and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, stirring a few times, until both are soft and golden. Once cooked, add the onion and mushrooms to a food processor or a high-speed blender. Add the cashews together with the stock, garlic, nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Blend on high speed until well pureed and smooth.
- Mix the crumbs ingredients in a small ramekin and set aside.
- Assemble the casserole: Add raw vegetables, mushrooms and pre-cooked turkey to a large casserole dish or an oven-proof baking tray. Pour the sauce over the top and stir through well. Sprinkle evenly with the crumbs mixture. Place the casserole dish in the oven, middle shelf, and cook for 20 minutes.