Healthy and delicious Paneer Fritters With Cucumber Mint Raita are the perfect low-carb, vegetarian recipe using paneer cheese. These fritters also feature peas, carrots, eggs, cheese and Indian-inspired spices.
For the fritters
200 g / 7 oz paneer, grated
50 g / 2 oz Cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 carrot, grated (juice squeezed)
200 g / 7 oz frozen peas, defrosted in hot water
1 garlic clove, finely diced or minced
1/4 red or white onion, finely diced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1.5 teaspoons curry powder
Olive oil for cooking
1/3 cup yoghurt
1 small cucumber, grated or diced into small cubes
6–7 leaves mint, chopped
- Grate paneer, cheese and carrots and set aside. Defrost frozen peas in a bowl of boiling hot water. Finely dice onions and garlic.
- In a large bowl, combine grated paneer cheese with the remaining fritter ingredients. Use a spatula or a spoon to mix everything thoroughly.
- Heat a thin layer of olive oil or ghee in a frying pan. The larger the frying pan, the more fritters you can cook in each batch.
- Once sizzling hot, add about two tablespoons of the mixture per fritter (in a pancake shape). Once the pan is filled, reduce the heat to medium-high, add a little more oil if it gets absorbed and the pan feels dry and smoky.
- Cook for about 4-5 minutes on the first side and 2-3 minutes second side or until browned and easy to flip with a spatula
- While the fritters are cooking, make the raita. Combine yoghurt, grated or diced cucumber and chopped mint in a small bowl.
- You can serve paneer fritters hot or cold with cucumber raita on the side. Aioli, mayo, and sweet chilli sauce are also lovely condiments with the fritters.
Keywords: Paneer, Fritters, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Low-Carb