This quick and easy prawn stir fry comes with crunchy and nutritious broccoli and cashews nuts, and a touch of chilli. It’s quick and easy (under 20 minutes) and super tasty. This recipe is paleo, gluten-free, Whole30 and keto-friendly.
There are three key ingredients in this dish: raw prawns (or shrimp), broccoli and roasted cashew nuts. You can use raw cashew nuts, but in my opinion, the roasted ones are much better for this recipe.
The rest is a few beautiful Asian aromatics and sauces, which you can easily get online or in your local health food store. If you’re not familiar with coconut aminos, read this blog post. You can save even more time by making a batch of my paleo stir-fry sauce to store in the fridge. It can easily be used for this dish.
Check out more healthy meals under 30 minutes here.
- 1 small head of broccoli (1/2 large head), cut into small florets
- 1+1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 long red chili, diced
- 1 tablespoon of finely diced or grated ginger
- 1/2 cup roasted cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos (or Tamari wheat-free soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon honey (omit for Whole30/Keto)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Juice of 1/4 lemon or 1/2 lime (about 1–2 tablespoons of juice)
- 250 g / 8 oz raw peeled prawns/shrimp (frozen prawns can be defrosted ahead of time)
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely diced
- Bring a kettle of water to a boil. Pour a few cups of boiling hot water to a pot and place over high heat. Add the broccoli and cook for 2 minutes. Strain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- In the meantime, heat coconut oil in a large frying pan or a wok. Add the chilli, ginger and cashew nuts and stir-fry for a minute, stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the fish sauce, coconut aminos, honey, sesame oil and lemon or lime juice.
- Add the prawns to the pan and stir through for a minute, then add the garlic and stir for 30 more seconds.
- Finally add the pre-cooked broccoli and the sauce and stir-fry together for a minute. Serve right away, while still nice and hot.