Prosciutto wrapped asparagus is the perfect dish to serve as an appetizer or finger food. You can use thin bacon instead and double or triple the ingredients for a larger batch. This recipe is paleo, gluten-free, keto, and Whole30-friendly.
- 12 asparagus spears
- 6 prosciutto slices/strips
- A little oliveoil, coconut oil or ghee for frying
- Wash asparagus and cut 2 cm off the ends. Cut prosciutto strips into two halves, going lengthways, you should end up with 12 strips.
- Place each prosciutto strip on a chopping board at a 45-degree angle. Place one of the asparagus spears on top of the meat, perpendicular to it. The tip of the asparagus should be lined up with the bottom of the prosciutto strip. Wrap the bottom end of prosciutto over the asparagus and holding the meat tight, start rolling the asparagus up. The prosciutto strip will wrap around the whole length of the spear because it’s on an angle. Don’t worry if parts of the asparagus spears are not covered completely.
- Heat some ghee in a large, flat frying pan to sizzling hot. Fry wrapped asparagus spears for 1-2 minutes on each side or until prosciutto is brown and crispy.
Thin bacon rashers could be used instead of prosciutto in this recipe.