Roasted quinoa, sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts make for a perfect vegetarian and gluten-free dinner. Drizzled with a citrusy mustard dressing, this dish is somewhere between a warm salad and a baked sheet pan meal. Also great for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Sunday Roast alternative to meat dishes.
1 cup dry quinoa or 2.5 cups cooked quinoa
1 medium sweet potato, diced into cubes
1.5 tablespoons olive oil
A pinch of salt
150–200 g / 0.5 lb Brussels sprouts, quartered
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 tbsp olive oil and salt
1/4 cup dried cranberries, diced
1 tsp paprika powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dry thyme
1 tsp ground coriander seed powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
A pinch of pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
For the dressing
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp orange juice
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp mustard
A pinch of salt
Garnish: roasted, pickled red peppers (like these) and mint or parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 395 F. Line a flat baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper and brush it lightly with olive oil.
- Combine diced sweet with olive oil and a pinch of salt. Spread over the baking tray and pop in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the quinoa, if using uncooked. Cut the Brussels sprouts and onions and toss with olive oil and salt. Set aside.
- After 15 minutes, remove the tray with the sweet potatoes. Add the -pre-cooked quinoa, dried cranberries, spices, half a teaspoon more of salt, a touch of pepper and another tablespoon of olive oil. Toss through with the sweet potatoes and spread evenly on the tray. Scatter the Brussels sprouts and onions over the top. Put back in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Whisk the dressing and set aside. Once the bake is done, remove from the oven. Drizzle the dressing just before serving and garnish with sliced red peppers and fresh herbs of choice. I used mint.
To cook the quinoa: rinse a cup of dry quinoa under cold water and add to a pot. Fill up with 2 cups of water and season with half a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to simmer and cook for 12-15 minutes. Strain through a sieve.
Instant Pot: 1 cup quinoa, 1 cup water, cook for on 1 minute on HIGH pressure with quick release.
Keywords: Quinoa, Brussels Sprouts, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Sunday Roast, Roasted Vegetables, Salad, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free