Spiralized raw beetroot and carrot salad with goat’s cheese and delicious walnut dressing. This gluten-free, vegetarian recipe can be made for lunch or light dinner, or served as an appetizer or a side dish.
For the salad
- 2 medium to large raw beets (I used pink and red)
- 1 large carrot
- 6 slices of goat’s cheese or shaved Pecorino cheese
For the walnut dressing
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, finely diced or grated
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup or raw honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- A pinch of pepper
- 1–2 tablespoons water
- Peel and slice beetroots and carrots very thinly or use a spiralizer to make noodles strips.
- Place dressing ingredients in a food processor, blender or a mortar and pestle and grind until fairly smooth. It’s okay to have a few crunchy bits in there.
- Toss beetroot and carrot noodles with 2-3 tablespoons of the dressing (more if you like) and top with goat’s cheese.
I have a vegetable spiralizer gadget at home, which makes gorgeous noodles from almost any vegetable. I absolutely love using it and recommend getting one. Alternatively, you can use a grater or slice the vegetables thinly with a knife or a peeler. Walnuts can be replaced with hazelnuts, almonds or macadamia nuts.