Juicy and full of flavour, these roasted chicken thighs are perfect for dinner or lunch. Marinted with oregano, garlic and lemon juices, the chicken is cooked in a pan and finished by roasting in the oven till perfectly crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- 6 chicken thighs, skin on
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated or crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (or finely chopped fresh leaves)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A generous pinch of pepper
- Oil for cooking (macadamia, olive oil, coconut oil)
- Combine garlic, oregano, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl and add the chicken. Rub the marinade all over the chicken and allow to marinade for 1-2 hours; if you can leave it overnight in the fridge, the flavours will be more developed. If in a rush, set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven the 200 C/ 400 F. If the chicken was in the fridge, remove and allow to come to room temperature for 20 miuntes before cooking.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Rub off some of the chicken marinade from the skin side of the chicken (to prevent it from burning) and add the chicken pieces, skin side down to the hot skillet. Reserve the marinade in the bowl. Cook for 3-4 minutes each side, over medium high heat.
- Now, it’s time to transfer the chicken to the oven. You can place the pieces onto an oven proof tray or dish or a cast iron pan (you can fry in it as well). Keep the pieces skin side up and brush the top with the leftover marinade. Place in the oven for about 10 minutes, at 200 C / 400 F.
Remove from the oven and allow to rest for a few minutes before serving.
Please allow some time to marinate the chicken. I recommend minimum 20 minutes but ideally 1-2 hours or overnight.
Freezing: You can make a larger batch of chicken thighs and freeze them in the marinade for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge ovennight and cook as per instructions. They will be super flavorful.