Rich, smoky and complex roasted salsa inspired by the Mexican salsa tatemada is made with charred onions, chiles, garlic and tomatoes and finished with refreshing lime and coriander. Use it as a dip or a condiment. Double the ingredients for a larger batch.
For charred ingredients
A little olive oil
1 large onion, cut into 5–7 wedges
1 red chile serrano, sliced in half lengthways
1 green jalapeno chile, sliced in half as well, deseeded
300–350 g / 0.7 lb cherry tomatoes
5 garlic cloves, whole in shells
1/3 cup fresh coriander/cilantro
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/3 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 250 C/480 F. Drizzle a flat baking sheet with a little olive oil and spread the charring ingredients evenly: tomatoes, chiles, onions and garlic (in shells). Place on the middle rack of the oven. Roast for 20 minutes, then remove the garlic cloves and put the sheet back for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove cooked garlic from the shells. Allow the veggies to cool slightly.
- Add all roasted ingredients to a food processor or a blender. You can also use a mortar and pestle to be more traditional. Add coriander, lime juice and salt and puree/blend the ingredients in short pulses as to not overprocess them. We don’t want a smooth puree but rather a course texture salsa.
- Serve right away or store in the refrigerator (in an airtight container) for up to 7 days.
- You can double the ingredients to make a larger batch or add a few more tomatoes.
Depending on the heat level of the chiles you use, the salsa could end up being quite spicy, even after they are deseeded. Have a quick taste of the raw chile to see how hot it is. I found our salsa was spicy but it had a mellow, warm heat to it and was very pleasant. If you want a less spicy finish, add a few extra cherry tomatoes to the baking sheet or use less chile. Adding a sweet red pepper (capsicum) to roasted ingredients can also dilute the heat a bit while adding lots of flavour.
- Serving Size: 3 tablespoons
- Calories: 72
- Sugar: 4.6 g
- Sodium: 201.7 mg
- Fat: 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.5 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 1.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg