I used a heat proof tagine to cook the tomato base and the eggs but you can use a cast iron or other deep frying pan or a saucepan with a lid. I cooked this dish on the stove top but you can also bake it in the oven once the eggs have been added to the sauce. I would recommend 15 minutes at 175 C/345 F.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 rashers of bacon, diced into cubes
- 1 red or brown onion, roughly diced
- 1/2 long red chilli, finely diced
- 1 medium red pepper (capsicum/bell pepper), sliced or diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2–3 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed powder
- 1/2 dried or fresh oregano leaves (parsley or thyme can be used instead)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional) – alternatively, use 1+ 1/2 teaspoons of pre-mixed Moroccan spice mix
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes, tinned or fresh
- 4–6 free-range eggs
- Fresh parsley and/or coriander (cilantro), roughly chopped
- In a deep frying pan, heat a teaspoon of olive oil over medium-high heat and add the bacon. Cook until crispy, then remove to a bowl but reserve the fat in the frying pan.
- Add the remaining olive oil. Add the onions, chilli and peppers and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until slightly softened. Season with salt and add the mushrooms and garlic. Cook for a minute, stirring. Then add back the bacon and spices, stir for 30 seconds allowing the aromas to be released. Add the tomatoes, stir and cover with the lid. Cook on medium-low heat for 10-12 minutes, giving it a stir a few times.
- Using a spoon, make small wells in the tomato mix and crack an egg into each, letting the egg whites to spill over the edges. Sprinkle each egg yolk with a little salt and pepper, cover with a lid and cook on medium-low heat until the egg whites settle and firm up but the egg yolks remain gooey, about 5 minutes. It’s very easy to overcook the eggs this way, so it’s best to leave them slightly under-cooked as they will keep cooking while getting served.
- Serve the eggs in the cooking dish sprinkled with some fresh parsley and coriander.