Nutritious and tasty, this grilled shrimp Caesar salad is super quick and easy to make. It features crispy lettuce, bacon, grilled prawns, sweet peppers and cherry tomatoes. The best part is the delicious, creamy Caesar dressing! This recipe is gluten-free and low-carb and I provided dairy-free/paleo modifications below.
1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
4 rashers of bacon
12–14 large raw prawns/shrimp, peeled, tails on
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
4 cups cos or gem lettuce, roughly chopped
1 cup diced red or yellow sweet pepper (capsicum)
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
For the dressing
2 tablespoons good-quality mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon or wholegrain mustard
2 tablespoons Greek Yoghurt
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 clove of garlic, minced or crushed
2 anchovies, finely diced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
A pinch of pepper
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the bacon. Cook on both sides until crispy, then remove to a plate and add the prawns. Season with a little pepper and garlic powder and cook for 2 minutes, each side. Set aside.
- Roughly slice the bacon and prepare other salad ingredients.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients and toss through the salad in a large bowl. Stir through the bacon and shaved Parmesan if using. Top with the grilled shrimp.
- Paleo or dairy-free Caesar dressing: 3 tbsp mayo, 1.5 tbsp almond milk, 1 tsp Worcestershire, 1 garlic clove, 2 anchovies, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes, a pinch of pepper. In the salad, replace parmesan cheese with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast or try this paleo Parmesan cheese option.
- Keto modifications: The salad is gluten-free and low-carb but if you want to reduce the carbohydrates intake even further, replace peppers and cherry tomatoes with lower-carb veggies like cucumber, radish, celery, fennel or lightly grilled/blanched asparagus or snow peas.