Whether you add these to your healthy lunchbox, grab for a quick on-the-go breaky or a snack, or serve for brunch and as a barbecue side, the mini Spanish tortilla egg muffins with fried potatoes and onions are a must-try recipe that is gluten-free, dairy-free, and Whole30-friendly. I loved making them and they turned out just as I imagined so I hope you give them a go!
One of my favourite Spanish foods is a tortilla – egg and potato omelette frittata – which I often buy for lunch, breaky and as tapas when travelling there. I also often make it at home as it’s a simple 2-3 ingredient dish that is fabulous with some salad. Then I thought, wouldn’t this be great as mini tortilla muffins? I could make a batch and enjoy in lunchboxes or for a quick breaky or snack on the go.
I decided to fry the potatoes and onions as you would for a tortilla but instead of cooking the egg in the same pan, I divided everything between individual muffin casings. Quick 10-minute bake in the oven and they were ready to go. They are kind of like egg muffins. I served them with a little mayonnaise (aioli or my charred salsa would also be really nice).
You will ingredients, instructions and nutritional breakdown for this recipe below and step-by-step photos just after that. If you have any further questions or feedback, leave a comment below and please rate this recipe if you like it.
MORE SPANISH-INSPIRED RECIPES
- Pisto Vegetable stew
- Versatile Tuna Empanada Filling
- Spanish Asparagus With Sofrito
- No-Cook Gazpacho Soup
- Chorizo & Sweet Potato Egg Skillet
Spanish-inspired mini tortilla egg muffins with fried potatoes and onions are super delicious for breakfast, lunch or as a snack. You can make these ahead of time. Gluten-free, dairy-free, Whole30, vegetarian-friendly.
6–7 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
1 medium onion, sliced (I do quarters and slice into strips)
4 tablespoons olive oil (plus extra while cooking, if needed )
2/3 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the egg mixture
8 large eggs (use more if they are small)
1/4 teaspoon salt and a little pepper
- Prepare potatoes and onions, then start heating the oven to 180 C / 355 F.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add about 3-4 tablespoons of oil (a thin layer). Add the potatoes and spread evenly. Once they start sizzling, pop a lid on top and cook for 2 minutes. They will fry on the bottom and having the lid on will help to steam them on the inside as well, speeding up the cooking.
- After 2 minutes, open the lid and turn the potatoes over. Add the onions and season with about 2/3 teaspoon of salt and a little pepper. Cook for another minute and stir the potatoes with the onions. You can add a little more oil if the mixture starts to stick to the bottom, this will depend on your frying pan.
- Pop the lid on top again and cook for 1-2 more minutes covered, then open and stir again. Cook for 2-3 more minutes, stirring as the bottom browns. Total cooking time should be about 10-12 minutes and potatoes should be soft to bite. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs with a little salt and pepper. Prepare a 12-muffin baking pan. Grease or spray lightly with oil if needed. My pan is non-stick so I didn’t add any oil.
- Add about 2-3 tablespoons of the egg mixture into each muffin casing. Divide the cooked potatoes and onions between the 12 muffin casings, lower them gently into the egg mixture.
- Pop in the muffin tray in the oven, middle shelf, for 10 minutes. The muffins will rise and firm up at the top. Once cooked, remove the tray and remove the muffins onto a plate.
- Enjoy hot or store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. I like them with a salad and a little mayo or aioli.
Potatoes: I used 7 potatoes as some were a little smaller, I usually calculate 1 medium potato for 2 muffin casings. You can use any type of potato here.
Low-FODMAP option: Onions can be omitted or add some green parts of the leeks instead.
Paleo option: I personally think of white potatoes are paleo-friendly but if you’re avoiding them for any reasons, feel free to use sweet potatoes.
HOW TO MAKE MINI TORTILLA EGG MUFFINS (Step-BY-STEP)
LOVE THIS EGG MUFFIN RECIPE? SAVE IT TO PINTEREST