Sweet potato and eggs are my favourite breakfast foods and I often make sweet potato rosti to start the day. This weekend, I felt like something a little different. I also had to use up some red peppers and this is what I ended up with. This hearty and delicious sweet potato egg bake is perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch, and even dinner, if you feel like something easy and meat-free.
I sliced sweet potato into chunky chips or wedges, but you can easily dice it or slice it into disks. For those of you avoiding nightshades, a simpler version can be made without peppers, tomatoes and certain spices, but you can easily add asparagus and zucchini instead. Anything goes, really.
You can use any coloured peppers (bell peppers, capsicum) in this recipe. Red or brown onion can be used. If sweet potato is not to your liking, feel free to use some white potato or pumpkin instead. You can reduce the ingredients slightly to make a smaller batch, however the leftovers keep well for a day or two.
- 2–3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 large brown onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and sliced into wedges (see pic)
- 1/2 small red pepper, sliced into strips
- 1/2 small yellow pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed powder
- Pinch of chilli powder (optional)
- 2/3 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs
- 4–5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- A few fresh herbs of choice or a sprinkle of dried herbs
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F.
- Add olive oil to a round or square baking tray or a casserole dish. Add the vegetables, garlic, spices, and salt and toss through to coat evenly.
- Place in the oven, middle shelf, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Once pre-cooked, remove from the oven and separate the veggies slightly to make small wells for the eggs. Crack the eggs over the top, letting them spread out evenly in the dish. Scatter the halved cherry tomatoes on top.
- Place back in the oven for around 8-10 minutes, or until the whites are firm and the egg yolks are still slightly soft (or as you like).
- Sprinkle with some fresh or dried herbs before serving.