Quick, easy and nutritious, this mushroom, spinach and tomato fry up is perfect with eggs for breakfast, or as a side with your favourite choice of protein. Paleo, gluten-free & Whole30!
- 1 teaspoon butter or ghee (omit if can’t tolerate dairy and add a little more oil)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5–6 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 red or brown onion, sliced
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 1/2 teaspoon of diced lemon rind or grated lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 3 large handfuls of baby spinach leaves or torn English spinach leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg (optional, but nice)
- Drizzle of lemon juice, right at the end
- Heat butter or ghee and olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and add the mushrooms and onions. Sauté for 5-6 minutes, until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Add the tomatoes, lemon rind and garlic, and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook for a further 2 minutes and press tomatoes down with a spatula until lightly smashed.
- Finally, add the spinach and stir through. Cook until the spinach is just wilted (turned wet and reduced in size). Season with a little more salt, if you like, and drizzle with some lemon juice right at the end.
- Serve with eggs or your choice of protein such as sausage, steak, chicken or fish.