Try this sweet potato and bacon omelette with goat’s cheese for a nutritious, gluten-free, grain-free breakfast. Omit bacon for a vegetarian version, or the cheese for a dairy-free, paleo, Whole30 version.
Roasted sweet potato
- 1 + 1/2 cup diced sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced roughly
- A few springs of fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the omelette
- 3–4 rashers of bacon, including the middle (short cut) part
- 6 eggs, whisked
- A pinch of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup crumbled soft goats cheese
- Sides: Mixed salad greens & sliced cucumber
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F. Combine sweet potato with olive oil, onions, thyme and salt and scatter on a flat baking tray.
- Roast for 25 minutes. You can stir the potato around after 15 minutes but not essential.
- Dice the bacon. I like to cut the rind away and cut the strips into 3-4 pieces. Heat a little oil in a frying pan you will be cooking the omelette in. Fry the bacon for 5 minutes, stirring a few times, until crispy.
- Add sweet potato, thyme and onion to the bacon in the pan and turn to medium heat.
- Pour in the whisked eggs, making sure they spread evenly. Cook for about 4-5 minutes or until the egg is set and just cooked through. You can cover the pan with a lid to speed up the cooking process.
- Right at the end, sprinkle with some goats cheese (if using) and a little black pepper.
- Serve with a side salad of mixed greens, cucumber, lemon juice & olive oil.
Cooking times below include the roasting of the sweet potato and can quicker if you do that part ahead of time.